Thursday, January 10, 2013

What a year it has been

Madeleine’s Blog

January 10, 2013
So do not fear, for I am with you
Do not be dismayed, for I am your God
I will strengthen you and help you
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
Isaiah 41:10


From Madeleine's Facebook post this afternoon:


January 2012 - Lymph node surgery
A year ago, my parents sat me down and tried their best to keep the tears from rolling down their faces when they had to tell me the news I had melanoma. I was told that on January 20th I would be undergoing serious surgery to remove the lymph nodes in the left side of my neck. The pictures below, to this day, still make me cry. I had no idea that that experience and the days to follow would change my life so significantly. 
Recovering from surgery in January '12
Following my surgery, I received chemo treatments and radiation. Within two days before graduating high school I heard even worse news, the cancer had spread to my liver. I was told I would be going to Riverside for week long bio-chemo treatments. The five months of treatments tested me emotionally and physically. It tested my trust in God and it tested my family's strength and dedication. After hearing in November of 2012 that the cancer had continued to grow slightly in my liver and still appeared in my neck, I began even more chemo treatments here in Santa Rosa. 

After receiving my most recent results of my PET scan Friday, I do not know what my further treatment will be, however I know, and will continue to fight. Being diagnosed with cancer has changed my life in so many ways and has taught me so many things. I never thought I could go through as much as I have and looking back it still shocks me!

Life is SO precious - don't take a single day for granted. Be thankful for what you have. Tell people how much they mean to you. And no matter what, always keep a smile on your face. There are some people I owe a BIG thank you to and could not have gotten through what I have without them.... And thank you to ANY ONE who has taken a minute to encourage me and remind me to keep fighting for my life. 

Thank you & fight on. 

No comments: