Monday, October 28, 2013

Started new UCSF clinical trial

Madeleine’s Blog

October 28, 2013
So do not fear, for I am with you
Do not be dismayed, for I am your God
I will strengthen you and help you
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
Isaiah 41:10

Madeleine was accepted into the UCSF clinical trial on Wednesday, and began taking the new trial drugs on Thursday. She has to take them early in the morning, on an empty stomach, and so at first she was having quite a bit of difficulty (she could get the pills down...but they sure didn't want to stay down!). She seems to be doing better with this now - using her determination and an adjustment in her anti-nausea medications.

In general, Madeleine has been more tired and weak - which is really hard for someone who is so used to being active. Some of that is the result of needing to be on medications for pain, taking new medications, and having a reduced appetite - along with low hemoglobin. She is working to concentrate all her efforts into fighting cancer, keeping up her appetite, and trying to stay on top of the symptoms she is experiencing.

Last week, Madeleine received a nice package in the mail from her NIH doctor, Dr. Payabyab, along with a very kind note. Dr. Payabyab came out to San Francisco last weekend to run in the Nike Women's Marathon and was presented with a "finisher's necklace" from Tiffany & Co. at the end of the race, which she sent to Madeleine. What a blessing to receive such a nice note and gift. Dr. Payabyab has been very helpful in follow-up since Madeleine finished treatment at NIH - she has continued to respond to email questions, which has helped us bridge the gap while waiting to get started with this next treatment.

Lots of appointments this week! Today, we went down to UCSF for an exam, and then tomorrow we will be there again for an ultrasound-guided biopsy of her neck that is required by the trial (it wasn't possible to schedule both on the same day). Then Wednesday afternoon is an appointment with Madeleine's local oncologist, Dr. Andersen.

Please keep Madeleine and her family in your prayers - thank you so much for all of your support and concern.
 

5 comments:

CT said...

Hi Madeleine!
I just found your blog and have already bookmarked it. I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma in 2008 at 26 years old. Mine was also on my neck. I have a crazy huge scar that people love to stare at; I'm sure you know the feeling. :)
I noticed a photo of you surfing. I learned how to surf the summer after I was diagnosed! I thought that our little similarities were funny. I hope that you have success on the trial and I will keep you in my thoughts. Keep fighting!

Amber said...

I've commented before but I just wanted to say that I'm still reading and hoping for the very best. My Madeleine received treatment at UCSF as well, and we are likely to be going back in the next few weeks. We thought that the hospital experience there was very good. The food is good, at least:) All the best -

Auntie Leslie said...

What a wonderfully kind gesture from your doctor at NIH. And a necklace from one of your favorite stores! Who doesn't love a blue box :)
You have touched many lives with your strength and determination. I love you bunches!!!

Dave Cindy said...

That is so awesome! What a great lady! We Love You Our Sweet Girl! BIG HUGS!

Auntie Leslie said...

Hi there....
I hope you and Mom had a good weekend at the Cabin. I know you both love it there.
See you in less than 4 weeks!!!
LOVE AND HUGS!