Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Masks off :)

Madeleine’s Blog

August 28, 2012

So do not fear, for I am with you
Do not be dismayed, for I am your God
I will strengthen you and help you
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
Isaiah 41:10



It is so nice to be home! We drove home Sunday, and because of Madeleine's low white counts, we all got to experience wearing surgical masks (to keep her protected from germs). When we were out in public (at the hotel or stopping to get something to eat), the best way to protect Madeleine was for her to be the one to wear a mask. It was quite an interesting experience to watch people take a second look and then try to avoid her! When we were alone with her in the car or hotel room, then we would be the ones to wear the masks so that she could be able to enjoy breathing freely since it isn't very comfortable breathing stuffy air inside a mask. 

Let's just say that we all breathed a sigh of relief when her Monday morning blood tests showed that her white counts were already good again! So...off with the masks, and on to enjoying her family, friends, and pets (the pets hadn't been cooperating too well with the mask-wearing rule...). She still has to avoid being around anyone who is sick, but being able to relax a little really helps.

Now Madeleine will just be working on recovering, and then her next PET scan is scheduled for September 7th. The outcome of that scan will determine what she does from here (more of the same treatment? a different treatment? a break from treatment?). So, we would really appreciate your continued prayers that this treatment would really be effective on her cancer, and that she would continue to gain strength as she recovers from this latest round of treatment.

1 comment:

Amanda Vaughan said...

Madeleine:

Hi, it's Amanda. I met you at your last treatment in Riverside. Your Mom left me her email, but in all the hussle & bussel, I lost it. :(

I hope you're doing well sweets! I'm heading back down for round two on the 7th (when you're getting your PET scan). I'm NOT looking forward to it one bit. Things were okay, while I was there, but took a turn for the worst during the travels home. I actually had to go to the ER. I've NEVER felt so horrible in my life. I kept thinking of you the entire time however, and how you're on round #4 (yuck).

Finger's cross, this time around isn't as bad. It took me about 5-6 days to get some energy back. I feel good right now, but it's hard to think, that in a weeks time, things will be different again.

I respect you kiddo! Stay strong & please stay in touch!

avaughan1977@gmail.com -or-
www.caringbridge.org/visit/amandavaughan

Love you!!