July 29, 2013
So do not fear, for I am with you
Do not be dismayed, for I am your God
I will strengthen you and help you
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
|Enjoying some time between treatments :)|
So, tomorrow morning at 8 am, we will be flying out to Maryland to do all the updated scans, sign the forms, and be randomized into the TIL trial.
She will report to NIH on Wednesday morning for a long list of baseline scans: PET scan, ultrasound-guided IV, blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray, MRI, and she will finally get the drain out that was put in after her liver surgery. Those tests will be read, and if all looks ready to go, then she will sign the authorization form and be "randomized" into the TIL trial there at NIH.
The randomization will be to see if she will be in the side of the trial that has full body radiation or not (both sides of the trial get two kinds of chemo plus high dose IL-2). The radiation side of the trial has more potential side effects, but also appears to be giving a higher rate of response to the therapy.
After the randomization decision, the plans are for her to fly back home on Friday. But if she is in the radiation side of the trial, then she will need to stay a few more days for shots and other kinds of preparation for therapy before coming home. One thing we are learning with this treatment is that our airline flights are always sort of "penciled in" - open to needing to reschedule at the last minute as the need arises. :)
Please keep Madeleine in your prayers during this intensive week. Join us in praying that she would have grace to make it through all the tests and scans; that she would be officially qualified for the TIL trial; and that she would be randomized into the side of the treatment that would be best for her treatment and complete healing. Thank you, everyone.